Was it worth it? I am always interested in student feedback on my experiments. So, here a graph of the student feedback I got back on the SimCity Urban Design Challenge (see my previous post):
And here is their written feedback:
- I liked the project a lot and it helped me understand how city planning and managing a city works. It helped a lot since I’m a visual learner also.
- Christian Lucas Says, it actually really helped me understand how a city works. And I especially liked how it was interactive, you basically found out the hard way how a city worked and it was fun.
- I found this to be the most stressful assignment all year. I did learn from playing and it showed me how complicated managing a city is but I would never want to play this game again. For the future, I would somehow change this assignment either by making it shorter or by briefing people better on how to play.
- Even though the correlation to the unit is there, it didn’t really help much with comprehension and was really sort of frustrating.
- I thought the game was valuable because it reinforced many concepts and made me actually deal with a lot of issues that city planners have to do. But it was really challenging and frustrating as well and although I think it was beneficial to understand what city planners go through it was also stressful. Overall I liked the idea though and I think future classes should do it.
- It was helpful to a certain point. There were some things missing from the game that we went over, but many things in SimCity were helpful.
- Sim City was a good tool to use when we were learning about urban planning. While I understood the terms and programs that urban planners used before we played Sim City, the game just really reinforced how difficult it really is to maintain and expand a city.
- SimCity helped me learn zoning, and city budgets.
- I was never really that confused about what we learned in class, but the game helped explain it further.
- I thought it was a fun way of learning a lot like being involved.
If you want to know more about lessons learned from the game, you can read an account at our class blog.
Will I do this again? Probably. I just heard that Electronic Arts,the maker of SimCity, is releasing a new version designed for use in education! Check it out.
What would you do? Did any comments resonate with you?